Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lack

There is more lack in Cambodia than I have seen anywhere else. Lack of food, lack of clean water, lack of sanitation, lack of money, lack of education, lack of justice. By far, the worst we've seen so far is the lack of compassion. Even when helping another would be simple & convenient, there is not even the slightest show of concern. "Love your neighbor as yourself" makes no sense to the Khmer.

The people we've met have been confused by our acts of compassion. They give us puzzled looks, ask us why we would do such a thing, sometimes laugh at us. Some confuse our kindness for foolishness & try to take advantage of our generosity (sometimes we let them). Sadly, the Christians in this area don't seem to be more than half a step ahead of the unchurched when it comes to compassion, but there is a growing interest & action.

Last time I was at the orphanage, my favorite child Surey Pen (Sree Ping) was in great pain because of an oozing sore. Although I was certain the house mother Wie (Wee) knew of the sore, I pointed it out to her. She squeezed it hard, causing such pain Surey Pen cried out. There was no show of emotion at all on Wie's face, no kiss on the head, no wiping of tears, nothing. She just wiped the ooze with a rag she happened to have in her hand, then walked away. I sat down with Surey Pen, letting her snuggle herself into my chest & rocked her gently.

When my own tears began to drop on her head, she looked up with wonder. Soon the other children crowded in closer (they're always close) to get a good look at my tears. They pointed at me & whispered among themselves with amazement & great confusion. One of the older girls finally asked, "Why are you crying?" I pointed to Surey Pen's sore & said, "She is hurt." Twenty-some blank stares was the only response I got.

They understood why Pen would cry, but could not grasp why I would cry too. However, the children love to imitate adults, so they all sat down around Pen & I looking very sad, trying to make themselves cry eventhough they didn't know why.

Perhaps that's the only way they can learn compassion. Seeing it & participating the best they can. This is Ruth's hope for the children. She often gives them opportunity & responsibility to serve one another & those outside the orphanage. Hopefully such exposure will unlock something in their minds so that real compassion may develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment