Saturday, February 20, 2010

O for the day

Today's entry is a rather personal one, if you don't mind.

As one would expect, I have found there are things I have taken for granted as a middle-class American. Some things are rather petty & the desire for them is easily overcome. Things like warm water, truly clean hair & real coffee.

Some desires, altho they cannot be totally put off, can be diminished to a bearable limit. I long for my husband more than I long for air. I'm absolutely convinced that I could swim the ocean to get back to him if necessary. No kiddin'. Nevertheless, I soothe my aching heart by reminding myself that I will soon see him.

Some desires are not so easily put off tho.

For me, the one thing I cannot conquer the desire for, or even slightly soothe, is hearing the name of Jesus. In the U.S. I live among a community of Christians who freely & frequently speak the Name. I hear His name innumerable times thru the day. I cannot accurately express how lonely I am for conversation & congregational singing & recorded music that includes Him & His name. This painful longing makes me all the more enthusiastic for the Day when every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord is to the glory of the Father.

I cling to this screen looking for emails from my ministry partner Kelly Stanley because she always includes God's name in some form or fashion. I've saved every letter like precious sips of water in a dry & weary wasteland. Evenso, I can hardly wait to hear & to speak the Name again

Brothers & sisters, if you live in a place where you are free to speak & frequently (or even regularly) hear "Jesus," I urge you to thoroughly enjoy that freedom & to fervently pray for those who do not have such luxury. It is a luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment