Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Another Cambodian (they're all over the place here....BAW-Hahahahahaha!)

I'd like to introduce you to another Love in Action (LIA) child, Kim Loun (Kim Loon), whom we've nicknamed Doc. About 10 years ago, when Doc was about 4 or 5 years old, he was discovered sleeping on the streets alone. He was taken to Sisters of Mercy Orphanage, but refused admittance because he was too old. I know it seems cruel to refuse any child for any reason, but you must understand there are soooo many abandoned & orphaned children here that unless agencies set some sort of restrictions they'll be quickly overwhelmed. ('Course Ruth, being the exception to nearly everything Cambodian, has too much faith in God to set such restrictions.) Ruth took him in as one of the first LIA children in the Cambo ministry.

The only thing Doc knows about his first family is that his mom couldn't take care of him when he was little, after he was abandoned his mom married for a second time producing a sister (who lives with an uncle) & that his mom is no longer alive. What he's told me about his current family is that "I SO much love Mommy Ruth & the kids. I'm so happy to God for bringing me to LIA. We eat & go to school & play & have many happy times together." I think Doc is the most grateful child I've met in Cambo.

Doc very much enjoys his role as a youth leader in his congregation. He teaches Sunday school for 7-10 year-olds after attending his own Sunday school class. He's also a skilled drummer for his congregation's youth band & is a popular fill-in in for other musical praise teams. In addition to church activities, he's an enthusiastic participant in a guys' Bible study group. When I asked him what his favorite Bible verse is he said, "Oooooh, I like best the verses in Matthew & John. And I like all the verses in Proverbs because they make me know which way to go in life." Hahahahaha! So many favorite verses is certainly evidence of Doc's love of God's Bible, eh? He's also a big fan of dancing before the Lord & regularly attends dance parties hosted by a youth minister's family. They close the curtains, crank up the music & go at it until they're thoroughly exhausted, which for healthy young people is hours on end.

Doc, as we say in Cambo, "has very good english," & translates for english-speaking teams & guests....& me. He went with the group I came with in May to a medical clinic in the village (the boonies) where he translated for Dr. Mark Truax & now wants to go on every village clinic as translator, "to help the poor people know how to get healthy."

God has clearly designed Doc to be a medical missionary in the province (the countryside) of Cambodia & Doc knows it. He told me, "It is not my choice, but God's choice, so I must do. And I want to do! I can be very happy to help the poor people. They soooo need help because they are so poor. I cannot not help them." His desire is to finish high school in a school where he can have english classes taught by someone whose first language is english (so he can "learn the proper accent to pronounce all the words correctly."). English is very important to Doc because he knows much of Cambodia is dependent upon the help given by foreign NGO's & mission teams, & he wants to help them help the poor. Mark Truax can certainly attest to the value of such help in helping the poor! After highschool, Doc hopes to attend university in America. He thinks American med school must be best because that's where Dr. Mark attended school & "he is very great doctor who knows how to help the poor people." Not to mention the fact that Doc's counting on the great Dr. Mark to help him study & learn well while in med school. (big cheesy grin to Mark)

Doc has great ambition, plenty of determination & incredible enthusiasm to fulfill his earthly duty to Christ as a medical missionary to the province. The only thing he lacks is school funds & encouragement from others. Please pray with Doc asking God to make the way for him to attend a highschool with a barang (westerner) english teacher (those schools are quite expensive at upwards of $50 per month) & a way to an American medical school. If you would like to write a note of encouragement to our brother Doc, please email me at beckyroehere@yahoo.com You probably have no idea what incredible impact a few encouraging words can do for this precious brother in Christ, so please really, prayerfully consider this.

7/27/10
Praise God for...
~teams of people who come in to minister Jesus.
~difficulties that cause us to come down lower in the world so we can come up higher in Christ.
~the incredible power of the human touch. It reaches beyond skin to spirit.
~those precious few who can say, "Follow me as I follow Christ."

Petition God for...
~the salvation of lost souls. It's our great duty & privilege!
~the redemption of those guys who snagged my bag. What a powerful testimony they'll be for Christ!
~a complete stop to child rape.

A big honkin' thank-you to:
~Mike & Shirley for earnest & diligent prayer help.
~Tracey Golder for being always encouraging.
~Jame Khunrich-Roe for keeping Mom fed until money comes in.
~Rich Young for living Hebrews 10:24. Bless you, brother.
~Harvest Fellowship for a generous donation to cover what was stolen.
~Grace & Mercy for a financial donation to the ministry here.

Personal Notes:
~Linda Graham, "give it you" has energized me when I needed a boost. Hallelujah!
~Mark Truax, Debi has an email for you....I hope.
~Isaac Roe, I love you more than I knew a human could.
~God willing & Jesus tarries, the nursery will be open this week! The ground-level apartment of Ruth's place will eventually be a babies' home where infants & toddlers can receive the stimulation & nurture they need. To begin with tho', I'll be bringing the 1-6 year-olds over two or three times a week for a type of pre-school. I'm looking forward to reliving the fun days of blocks & books & cuddles & a thousand new discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment