Friday, July 30, 2010

Bright Little Brother

Being the youngest child in my family, I always wanted a little brother or sister. I am thrilled to have dozens now! And, bonus! I don't even have to share my toys with them! Hahahahaha! The "little" brother I admire most is Bright. He's more than a foot taller than me, as you can see, & tickled to be called "Little Brother." Let me tell you about him. (read: I'm about to brag on my sib.)

Bright is a 19 year-old university student who dreams of being a Cambodian ambassador. His aspiration stems from a deep desire to help his people. I am so very pleased that Bright is looking toward the big picture concerning his country & is willing to shoot high to improve the country's well-being & standing in the world.

Bright bikes to the university where he is studying english. He pedals one hour (each way) for 30 minutes of instruction rain or shine. Here "rain or shine" is more accurately descibed as incredible downpour or bone-melting heat. When I commented on the distance, Bright replied with a smile, "Maybe God is testing me & I want to pass the test." Despite the long ride six days a week, Bright is very grateful for the opportunity to attend school. He knows he is privileged to have this opportunity, especially because it is a good english course.

After class Bright returns to the girls' house with a few of the younger boys to teach english to the middle children (we call them littles, middles & olders). The children have great respect for Bright & appreciate & enjoy learning from him. He also leads evening worship at the boys' house & teaches them from God's Bible. In addition, Bright is of great help at both houses where "a man's work" needs to be done. This includes, but is not limited to, "mowing the grass," which is actually squatting to pull up grass from the relatively spacious yard to keep the mosquito population to a minimum.

Bright has agreed to tutor me in Khmer (k'my), the language of Cambodia, for the month of August in exchange for a english thesaurus. I will also continue helping him with english pronunciation, vocabularly expansion & idioms. He's quite eager to learn all he can of the english language & is tickled pink over my help. I give him my copy of The Cambodia Daily every afternoon to practice reading & pronunciation skills; he reads select articles to me & I explain & correct as we go. I also answer questions he has about english he's heard around town, on the radio, etc.

Bright is a natural leader at the boys' house being the elder brother, but he has been shy to give the boys much direction & correction when needed. Affection, comfort & encouragement, he has down pat tho'. Jame & I have encouraged him to accept the role God's given him there at the house especially because the male staff members have recently left LIA's Cambodia ministry. Bright is "the man of the house" now, so it is important for him to move confidently in his position. Please pray with us for Bright. He is a very gentle, gracious & grateful spirit with an underlying strength that will aid & protect his younger siblings as he takes hold of the responsibility God's given him.

I love the photo of my little brother & myself here, but I wish I had one of us embracing. Out of respect for elders or those in greater authority, one makes his head lower than the shoulders of the "bigger" & it's comical to see Bright stoop halfway over to put his head under my chin as we hug. He's even taller than it appears in this photo because I'm standing on a bit of rise beside him. Bright is so humble & so sweet, he never avoids a hello, or good-bye, or thank-you, or I-love-you hug with me in spite of the awkward discomfort it involves for him. (I didn't think to pack my Stilleto's this trip. Hahahahaha!)

If you'd like to send a note of encouragement to Bright regarding his pursuit of education, his desire to be an ambassador for his people, or his new role as "team captain" at the boys' house, please email it to me at beckyroehere@yahoo.com Your loving words will lift these children to heights they'd never reach on their own, so please prayerfully consider the idea & take action as the Lord leads.

7/30/10
Praise God for...
~the relationships He's developing for me & children
~warmish water for the afternoon shower
~clothes for the boys who needed them
~the Sunday morning treat of REAL coffee!! (Double Jesus cheer with a jump!)

Petition God for...
~the salvation of lost souls
~God's "cords of kindness" to draw the guys who snatched the bag
~opportunity & means to resolve the visa issues (corruption funds are very high here)
~a simple & successful surgery for Dave (10 August)

A big honkin' thank-you to:
~Mike & Shirley for faithful prayer support.
~my Zeph Sisters' upcoming flip flop contribution. You love well!
~Nancy Rodenbeck for writing to Doc. You blessed his socks off, sister!
~Kelly Stanley for being magical here on the blog

Personal Notes:
~LIA-Cambo Kindie has opened! Yippee! Look for more info in an upcoming entry.
~Sherry Warner, yes, I've lost some weight, but don't worry, it's worth it to "eat doughnuts all my life."
~Glen Taylor, I'm thinking of you, brother.
~Grace & Mercy, miss you so, so, SO much, but... "I just cain't turn back nooooow!"
~Isaac Roe, I love you more than you know.

1 comment:

  1. Are you stuck at a hotel without money? I just rcvd an e-mail that stated you needed money? I have great concerns regarding this. Please post a note on your blog on your recent activities. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete