Thursday, May 13, 2010

From Becky

God has brought me into the path of several amazing people while here in Cambodia. It has been my greatest pleasure to observe & to connect with them. Some are expats, some are locals, some are passing thru.

Ruth Golder, the founder & director of the orphanage we're working with in Phnom Penh, is probably the most amazing person I've ever met next to Jesus. She is a living illustration of faith & grace. The men we affectionately call "the CHOICE guys" who organize & maintain charitable acts in & around the Phnom Penh area, mostly at their own expense, are a refreshing & inspiring group.

Jame (writing the phonetic spelling is beyond me) who literally lives to serve people would put most Western believers to shame with his generosity & his graciousness. It is truly a joyful privilege to him to be able to sacrifice himself for others. He often says, "If I can do, I do. It is my function." It's just that simple to him.

Missa Lay (Mr. Lie) who drives a tuk-tuk 18-20 hours a day to support his family of about a dozen people is definitely a fave too. In the few spare hours he has in the day he takes his toddler son fishing, cares for his triplets so his wife can have a nap, or invites whites (us) into the three-sided shelter he calls home for a dance party in the middle of the day.

There are many, many more I would love to tell you about in greater detail, but I dare not use up my entry space without telling you about a truly incredible group of people here. Each one bravely came here simply because they sensed it is God's desire. They've given generously, sacrificially even, of their time, their efforts, their money, their very bodies & their hearts. They've endured 24-hour energy sapping heat, bug bites & rashes of various kinds, the inconveniences & irritations of living in close quarters with others, the uncertainty & discomfort of being thrust into a less-than-modern culture, severe homesickness, & the soul scarring heartbreak of truly loving the needy but not being able to meet their needs. Of course I'm writing of the group that I came with. I respected each one before we headed this way, but I've developed a true & deep admiration for them all as I've observed them here.

Please remember to pray for the group (including their loved ones who miss them terribly). I know our blog entries sound like we're having a grand experience with a little inconvenience here & there, but you must know that it is God's grace thru the help of your prayer that is sustaining us here. This is a terribly hard place to be & it gets harder every day- physically, emotionally & spiritually. We are in enemy territory. Keep your hands lifted, Moses, for Joshua's battle in the valley is not yet complete.

1 comment:

  1. Becky we miss you and are praying for your mission in Cambodia. Rest assure you are covered in prayer and in the Lord's hands as we go boldly before the throne for you each day. We praying for your safety and protection from any harm. We also Pray for God's financial provision so you may return back home. Take care sister.

    Yours in Jesus's love & prayers

    Shirley & Mike <+><

    ReplyDelete