Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting a Footing

With such a limited time frame for ministry, we thought it best to get the team immediately immersed in the culture on day one. Upon rising we ate a local restaurant (that's when & where the laptop died) & walked about the downtown area taking note of the idols, memorials, temple, palace, traffic, & local shop houses & street businesses. Next we headed into the market. Most of the team couldn't stomach the "food court," so we didn't get nearer than we had to, but they did have a long look-see in the other areas & did a good deal of souvenir shopping.

Altho I had no intentions of shopping, I ended up buying a few pieces of fruit. Wish I could tell you what it is, but I have no idea. Tastes good tho. See, while the others were looking over market goods, I sat down next to an older woman to rest & fan myself. The woman offered me a piece of the fruit she was selling and when I refused, she peeled it, dug the pit out with her (very dirty) finger & stuck it in my mouth. She force fed me two or three that way. Compassion & generosity are extremely unusual here especially where food is concerned (I wouldn't doubt I experienced "angels unaware"), so I was compelled to purchase a few more. She wanted a dollar for a kilo and nearly flipped when I gave her the dollar but only took a few. Funny that we were both shocked by one another's generosity. By then the team was ready to move on, so the old lady & I hugged & kissed goodbye.

The next morning our LIA team leader took us to the famous S21 torture prison of the Khmer Rouge & to the Killing Fields monument where victims of the Khmer Rouge were disposed of. The horrific evil that took place there is unspeakable & I refuse to give the devil any glory for his work. Suffice it to say it was a deeply somber trip for all of us that shook us to the core & lingers still. It was important to experience this part of Cambo's history, painful as it was, so that we could better understand why the people are the way they are now.

The first two days were overwhelming in various ways at various times for every member of the team, but almost all are bucking up in God's strength & determined to accomplish His work regardless of culture & circumstance.

1 comment:

  1. praying for you all, that God will show you more of Himself, through circumstances and perspectives that you have never experienced before.
    hoping you are seeing Jesus everywhere you look, in spite of the darkness, keep looking for and finding the cracks where His glorious light shines through.
    love to all
    debi koss

    ReplyDelete